When a Moodle course is created / rolled over for the next Semester / Trimester it is kept 'hidden' to allow the Tutor to edit and upload resources before allowing students to access the course.
You can identify if a course is 'hidden' or 'visible' to students in two ways:
Go to the course and check the 'Breadcrumb trail' under the course name:
If the name in the breadcrumb trail is 'greyed out', the course is hidden from students.
Go to the course and click the 'Editing' cog at the top right-hand side of the page and select 'Edit settings':
Scroll down to 'Course visibility' to see what is selected:
If the setting shows 'Hide' the course is hidden from students.
Make a course visible to students
Once you have updated the course and are ready to give students access do the following:
1. Go to the course and click the 'Editing' cog icon on the top right-hand side of the page
2. Select 'Edit settings' from the list of options:
2. Scroll down to 'Course visibility' and use the drop-down menu to select 'Show':
3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Save and display' to save your changes:
4. The course will now be visible to students.
The course name in the breadcrumb trail will now be white text rather than grey:
Hide a Moodle course
To ‘Hide’ a course from students, follow the steps above but choose ‘Hide’ from the 'Course visibility' drop-down menu.
Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Save and display' to save your changes:
More about the Moodle Course Settings can be found here: https://docs.moodle.org/37/en/Course_settings